In a Nutshell
The weight loss journey is a complicated process that requires sheer dedication and a diet plan that works. Many fail to achieve a weight loss target due to low motivation and consistency. To assist people in losing some extra ugly fats, Nutrisystem brings an innovative method for losing weight.
From providing an effective weight loss program to bringing the needed food to your doorstep, Nutrisystem offers support and guidance to stay motivated. It removes the headache of which food matches your goals and which doesn’t. Its short-term weight loss program seems to work, but the long-term effects are not proven yet.
Today, we are going to provide a Nutrisystem review and find out whether it is a miraculous weight loss program you have been looking for or not.
What is a Nutrisystem Diet?
Nutrisystem diet offers an easy-to-follow, portion-controlled eating plan. The prepackaged foods according to your diet plan are delivered to your doorstep. This is one of the oldest weight loss programs that has been around since the 1970s.
The meal plan encourages you to eat six small meals a day to avoid hunger cramps. Through calorie restriction, you limit the calorie intake that assists in losing weight. The program promises to help women lose up to 13 pounds, i.e., 6kg, and men to lose 18 pounds, i.e., 8.2kg in the first month only.
To help you stay on track, Nutrisystem provides several meals delivered to your home. These frozen meals can be stored easily, and you will only have to reheat the cooked meals to enjoy them. You will also get shakes as a substitute for snacks.
The plans offered by them are designed for individuals based on their preferences and budget. The standard features include:
There’s also a Nutrisystem weight loss app, NuMi, that becomes available with specific subscription plans.
Nutrisystem diet was ranked 20th by U.S. News and World Report Best Diets in 2021. It got an overall score of 3.5 out of 5.1. Kelly Plowe, MS, RD says:
‘Nutrisystem’ is a meal delivery program that focuses on eating real food (versus bars or shakes), but it’s expensive, and the portions are small. Relying on a meal delivery service isn’t sustainable for most people, so healthy, long-term habits are not learned.”
This customizable plan is not only nutrient-dense but is also delicious and perfect for keeping your calories in check and also satisfying the untimely cravings. From nursing women to young, old, vegetarian, etc. Nutrisystem can accommodate everyone.
Top-notch chefs design all the recipes at Nutrisystem; therefore, the food is delicious and delightful.
Example Meal by Nutrisystem:
Breakfast: multigrain cereal with skim milk, banana
Snack 1: protein shake made with skim milk
Lunch: turkey and cheese sandwich on whole-wheat bread
Snack 2: whole-grain crackers and cheese
Dinner: baked salmon, brown rice, salad with vinaigrette dressing
Snack 3: 2–4 squares of dark chocolate.
How does Nutrisystem work?
Nutrisystem is a 4-week diet program that can be repeated after completion also. The program assists the user in their food choices and provides the required number of meals. For the first week, three meals are targeted, i.e., breakfast, lunch, and dinner with one snack and special shake to prepare the body for the upcoming diet. For the next 3 weeks, six meals are maintained a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack after every meal.
If you do not take Nutrisystem prepared meals, the company recommends consuming lean, low-calorie, and low sodium options.
Nutrisystem offers three plans:
- Basic: It is an affordable option to get on track. You will have to prepare meals yourself as the premade meals are not included. It comes with 100+ menu choices.
- Uniquely Yours: This plan offers 150+ meals to choose from, including frozen and non-frozen meals for 5days a week
- Uniquely Yours Ultimate: The most comprehensive plan with a broader variety for 7 days a week along with 160+ meal choices and premium meals.
You can also go for combination plans to serve more than one person, and even the meals can be enjoyed on weekends for an added cost.
Their impressive personalized plans include:
NuMi App: App is available on both the iOS play store and Android Google Play. The features it has to offer include:
- Weight logs that scan your progress.
- Water intake and exercise intake with meal logging.
- Recipes, tips, and informative articles
- Keep track of all your meals.
- Offers contests, challenges, and special offers.
Pros and Cons of Nutrisystem Diet
- It saves time and provides a nourishing meal with an exact calorie count.
- The program motivates you to exercise and eat healthily.
- It is impressive to maintain a balanced diet with a calorie intake between 1200-1500 calories a day.
- Flex meals, snacks, supplementary food, the meal choices are interesting.
- There is also a weight-maintenance plan once a set target is achieved.
- The plan can cost $200-350 a week, plus you have to buy vegetables, fruits, etc.
- Most of the options are processed meals
Foods you can have and Foods to avoid:
Nutrisystem provides most of the meals, snacks, and shakes for you. You get four meals, i.e., breakfast, lunch, dinner, and one snack for 5 or 7 days each week, depending on your plan. If you go for a five days plan, then for the rest of the two days you will have to arrange food yourself. Other than their packaged meals, you can also enjoy the following:
- Proteins: lean meats, legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu, meat substitutes
- Fruits: apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, tomatoes, avocados
- Vegetables: salad greens, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, asparagus, mushrooms, turnips, radishes, onions
- Fats: cooking spray, plant-based (lower calorie) spreads or oils
- Dairy: skim or low fat milk, low-fat yogurts, reduced-fat cheeses
- Carbs: whole grain bread, whole-grain pasta, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats
- Proteins: battered or fried proteins, fatty cuts of meat
- Fruits: fruit-based desserts like pies and cobblers
- Vegetables: fried vegetables
- Fats: liquid oils, butter, lard
- Dairy: ice cream, full-fat milk, yogurt, or cheeses
- Carbs: pastries, cakes, cookies, French fries, potato chips, refined bread, and pasta (made with white flour)
Taste of Nutrisystem?
The Nutrisystem meal reviews are mixed. Most consumers enjoy the meals and find the varying options mouth-watering, but some also complain that the texture and taste of certain foods changes upon reheating frozen dishes.
While building your menu, you can check the reviews for that specific dish for further assistance. Some of the top-rated items on the menu include:
- Classic Hamburger
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Artichoke and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Mushroom Parmesan Soup with Chicken
- Cinnamon Roll
- Italian Sausage and Turkey Pepperoni Pizza
Canceling a Subscription
If you cancel the plan within 14 days of the program, no charges or penalties will be applied to your account. Or you can also cancel after the second month’s shipment has arrived. Nutrisystem wants to provide their customers with a satisfactory experience and give them enough time to understand if the plan is right for them or not.
A la Carte by Nutrisystem
Not sure if the entire meal plan is for you or not, try the A la Carte by Nutrisystem that allows customers to buy individual items without purchasing the entire program. This option facilitates the new customers to make healthier choices and check the plan’s authenticity before committing to it. Although drastic results will be observed after practicing the entire plan, this is a great way to check their meal.
FAQs about Nutrisystem Diet
Q) Is Nutrisystem food healthy?
A. The diet by Nutrisystem is deemed healthy for people with heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Meals are low in saturated fats, sodium, and trans fat. Plus, you get high-fiber whole grains, smart carbs, healthy fats, etc.
Q) How much weight should I expect to lose using the Nutrisystem diet?
A. Women following this program can lose up to 13 pounds and 7 inches overall in the first month, and men can expect to lose 15 pounds and 7 inches in the first don’t.
Nutrisystem diet is an innovative and smart way to start a healthier lifestyle that will keep you fit and active. The plan is incredible guidance, and the prepackaged meals save you from tiring grocery runs and help you avoid complicated calorie counting.